RECIPE 2: Saffron Butter shortbread Cookies
Shortbread cookies are extremely delectable cookies from Scotland. The secret to good shortbread
cookies is good quality butter so that you get that snap when you break a cookie and it melts into
your mouth. The basic recipe uses only sugar, butter and flour but by adding a bit of saffron to it you
take this recipe to a whole new level of flavor and not to forget that gorgeous yellow color. Best
enjoyed with your afternoon tea or coffee.
¾ cup unsalted butter at room temperature
½ cup icing sugar
1 cup all-purpose flour
3 tbsp cornstarch
1 pinch of saffron soaked in 2 tbsp milk (crushed in mortal and pestle)
½ tsp vanilla paste (optional)
A pinch of salt
Chopped pistachio for garnish
1. Pre-heat an oven at 160C/ 320F.
2. Line two large baking trays with parchment paper.
3. In a large bowl mix together beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Both sugar and butter
need to blend very well.
4. Mix in saffron and vanilla paste and beat well.
5. Now sieve in flour, cornstarch and salt. Mix gently until it all comes together into a soft dough.
6. You can either pipe the dough on a tray or use a small scoop to spread the dough. Place the
cookies 1-2 inch apart on the tray.
7. Garnish each cookie with chopped pistachio.
8. Chill the dough for 15 mins in refrigerator before baking.
9. Bake at 160C / 320F for 20 mins or until edges begin to brown lightly.
10. Cool completely on a wire rack and store in airtight container. Can be stored for up to a week.