RECIPE 5: Persian Ice-cream In Baklava Cups
RECIPE 5: PERSIAN ICE-CREAM IN BAKLAVA CUPS
Summer is here and the best way to enjoy the sunshine is with this delicious and flavorful Ice-cream.
This recipe is inspired by traditional Persian ice-cream called “Bastani” which has the flavors of saffron, rose water and pistachio. For a twist I have served them in Filo pastry cups (inspired by traditional sweet baklava). I have modified this recipe so you can prepare this easily with readily available ingredients at home and requires no fancy gadgets.
Ingredients: (8 scoops)
- For Ice-cream:
- 2 cups double cream
- 1 cup condensed milk
- ½ cup full fat milk
- ¼ tsp saffron
- 2 tsp rose water
- ¼ tsp cardamom powder
- ¼ cup chopped pistachio
- Rose petals (optional)
- For Cups:
- A pack of Filo-pastry sheets
- ¼ cup melted butter
- Honey optional
1. Brush each sheet of filo pastry with butter and layer one above the other- Layer 5 sheets.
2. Cut the large sheet into small approximately 8 cms squares.
3. Use a cup cake tin to form small cups, brush some more butter over the surface.
4. Bake in a preheated oven 360F / 180C for 15 to 20 mins until golden brown.
5. Cool them completely on a rack (optional brush with honey or simple sugar syrup).
6. Soak saffron in milk for 30 mins.
7. In a large bowl, whisk the cream until soft peaks form.
8. Add to it condensed milk, rose water, saffron and cardamom. Whisk for another 2 mins until all
ingredients are mixed well (No sugar required as condensed milk already contains sugar).
9. Now mix in the chopped pistachio and gently fold in.
10. Transfer to a bread tin or airtight container and freeze overnight or minimum 8 hours.
11. Remove from freezer 15 minutes before serving.
12. Scoop the ice-cream and serve it over baklava cups garnished with chopped pistachio and rose